Thursday 26 July 2012

One of those days


It has been one of those days actually, when one has not acheived a great lot. I was not organised with appointments when I came to the Willamette Valley, as I was really not sure of how long it would take me to get here. Sometimes that works in your favour, as really good things pop up. Today, not much popped up! Everyone is extremely busy harvesting, so even though I had two great ladies in the industry trying to organise some meetings for me, nothing much came to fruition. I was able to do a bit of research on the net, and tested my confidence levels ringing all sorts of people!

 In the end, I was able to visit a very good and interesting organic Dairy farmer this afternoon. It was a very well run operation and it was very interesting to hear his perspective on the direction farming is taking!

I spent some time driving around the valley, most of the paddocks seem to be in grassland seed production, such as one below. Most are swathed like this and just about to be harvested. Most are perennial grasses that are grown for 3-5 years. So they are able to harvest the seed, bale the straw every year with no seeding costs, just fertiliser and pesticide costs.
 Harvest is starting, and apprently when everything is in full swing there is heaps of dust in the air from the fne grasses (such as annual and perrenial ryegrass) they are harvesting. Not good for hayfever.
 After growing grasses, this is the problem they deal with trying to put wheat in the rotation!
 (hmm maybe not good photography - but there is a heap of ryegrass sticking out the top!)

The day ended well, as I alo caught up with Risa from grassland oregan (also on memmber ASTA), and we had DELicous pizza for tea. Almost the best i've ever had, then to top it off I had my first every creme brulee. YUMMO!!! So very full tonight, healthy day tommorow :)

Tommorow I am meeting with the president of the west coast sugar beet association. Sugar beets have been controversial with the introduction of RR beets, however most of the beets growing in the area are now GM. I will then catch up with a farmer Skip, before heading North - homeward bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment