Sunday 22 July 2012

Hays, Kansas


Day 2 of Monsanto tour revised a lot of the previous days learnings - and had a good look at the drought tolerant corn that is soon to be realeased. Drought tolerant is really the wrong choice of titles and sends false messages as to what the corn can achieve. In the right conditions, a 10% yield gain may be seen, but wether farmers will notice the difference in the paddock and think it's enough to substanitiate the cost will be interesting! Dallas and I in the photo above in an IRRIGATED corn crop.


Playing with my camera in the corn crop, as it was way too hot to stay out in the sun for the ENTIRE talk :)

From the Field tour, I headed towards Hays, futher West in Kansas. I stopped of at a large fresh water lake for a dip, which was very splendid! I then had an hour to spare before I headed to my hosts place for the night, so found a gym to visit in Hays. Unfortunately, afterwards as I was sorting through my clothes in my boot I managed to lock my keys in the boot!! oops a daisy. Very luckily my phone was in my pocket and not in the car, so Phil, my host came to the rescue and we found someome to come and unlock it for $65. Money I DID NOT mind spending as I was having all sorts of stresses about how I was going to get out of the situation!!

Phil and Linda welcomed me into their lovely home in Hays. Phil is a weed scientist at Kansas University and works at the research centre in Hays. He has worked on weeds, and the particularly nasty herbicide resistant ones in Kansas, for many years!!

No comments:

Post a Comment