Friday 9 March 2012

Last Days

Thursday morning I visited a cropping and sheep farmer in Loddington, Rad. Rad was one of the farmers to initially trial GM crops in England about 10 years ago, when there was MASSIVE opposition to the crops. Most of the trials around the countryside were destroyed by Anti-GM protesters but Rad's was one of the few that were grown out and harvested. It sounds like a crazy time, with anti-gm protests going on everywhere. He found the technology very suitable to his programme, and would love to continue using it if it had of been possible.

I visited Loughborough over lunch, and browsed a few markets whilst there.

The next farm visit was a neighbour of Rad's, the Maetravers. The Maetravers are organic farmers, and run a farm shop where they sell all of their farm produce. Obviously they were very opposed to Rad growing the GM trial, as they do not support GM at all. So.... interesting to get both sides of the story!

Graeme showed me around their picturesque property, there sheep and cattle flocks, and also their small farm shop. They are doing a really fantastic job, but not without a lot of work. There crops are relatively weed free, and the stock all in very good condition!

I spent the night at their house, with the family. Graeme's 2 kids, were really fascinated by Australia and the questions kept comng about where I live and what it is like 'down under'. They particularly enjoyed my 'very strong' Australian accent!! It was a really lovely night, and they were the most welcoming and kind family!

This morning I headed to Stoneleigh where I met with a Dr from the NFU there, who has a lot to do with NFU GM policy, and also was a weed researcher for most of her career. She was extremely busy, but I was able to spend an hour with her which was very interesting!

So, now I have made it back to Heathrow, dropped of my car, got the underground to Kings cross and booked into my favourite B and B! I have a lovely little room down the tiny little stairs and have spread the contents of my suitcase over the room. I am meeting John at 6.30pm to go to the show Matilda, by Roald Dohl (spelling???). Tommorow is the tower of London with some of Johns friends, then I am going to water polo training with John tommorow night...... I know, devastating to think this white, well fed body is going to get out in the bathers!!! Then I am taking John out for dinner his 30th birthday. Home Sunday morning - yay!!!

Chow

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jemma,
    Hope your trip is going well. Great blog. Never organised anything with Bayer before you left it seems, but if anything I may be able to assist with, please dont hesutate to ask !
    Craig White

    ReplyDelete